Sunday, May 19, 2013

Grow!


I’m a horrible gardener. For boasting about my Mississippi roots and love for the Deep South, I must admit that one thing I never cared for was trying to plant and grow anything. As a kid I remember loving to play with crawfish mud holes or catching tadpoles. I had no problem getting a little dirty, but mention planting anything and I was out.

I've recently ventured into planting herbs for the summertime and am reminded why I never garden. I am terribly impatient. Gardeners who spend hours and days and months cultivating soil and taking special care their plants amaze me. I on the other hand want to see instant fruit. As soon as the seeds are in the soil I get so excited about the potential growth that will soon follow. As if to will my little herbs to grow faster, I lovingly drown the poor seeds with water and sometimes kill the little plant before it has time to nurture and grow to its full potential.

The scene reminds me all too often of maturing in godliness. Seeds are full of potential, equipped with everything they need in their DNA to flourish and grow. Yet, growth takes time and intention. It isn't an overnight process. The soil must be taken care of, the water poured out, the sun lavished. It takes time and intentionality to grow, for roots to stretch deep into the soil and lace together in strength.

Similarly, growing in godliness takes time and intentionality. No one trips and stumbles into godliness. It is a process. Scripture tells us that as new creations God has given us everything we need to grow in Him, but it does not happen overnight. Organic growth in Christ takes time; it takes intentionality when we don’t feel like growing in obedience. It means cultivating discipline to obedience to Scripture and ever gazing upon the Son who so richly lavishes His blessings upon us. Don’t lose heart. Don’t give up or get impatient as I do. Grow. Let your roots reach deep into Scriptures and strengthen in the truth of the Gospel. Be satisfied and delighted in Him alone and let your worship pour forth in thanksgiving.

“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.”  Colossians 2:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment