Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lessons of the Journey: God's Great Work in the Heart of South Sudan




     O that I could live always as under His eye, and feel the sense of His immediate presence, this is Life and all besides this is death to my Soul"- William Carey

Live. When I think of my time in South Sudan and the amazing journey that the Savior has led me on thus far, this is the one word that comes to mind. Live. Live freely, vibrantly, and purposefully. Live with boldness, wisdom, discernment, and in loving obedience to our great God because as Carey once said, life is continually living under the eye of our Savior and feeling the sense of His immediate presence.

While in South Sudan I continually felt the sense of His presence. Before leaving, my pastor, Larry, told me that sometimes God uses short term mission trips to teach us dependence on Him because everything else is stripped away. Oh, how sweet and satisfying it is to depend completely on Christ and stripped of all dependency on this world.

Our team partnered with local pastors of various areas and met with many South Sudanese families, sharing the gospel and encouraging them in their faith. I loved sitting outside many huts with the warm African sun beaming down and talking of the gospel for hours, sharing the hope within me, and answering many thought provoking questions about God and His Word. I also had the privilege of working at a women’s conference, praying over the needs of many and teaching others in discipleship and also loving on many orphaned children at the local orphanage.

God is doing amazing things in this part of Africa. He is worthy of all praise and glory! During our short few weeks our team saw many surrender their lives to Christ, follow in believer’s baptism, and begin walking in newness of life! How sweet it is to watch new brothers and sisters taste the freedom of forgiveness and new life in Christ.

     We encountered many false teachings and spiritual warfare, but our fight is not against flesh and blood. Satan is active in South Sudan, but our God is so much greater. He has raised up many strong and vibrant men of God as pastors, elders, and teachers in South Sudan. He has gifted several women to serve other women and teach them of raising Godly families as Christ teaches throughout scripture.

I could share 2 million of my favorite parts of this journey, but I will suffice to share one story with you, a story that is not my own. Her name is Harriet. My sweet friend, Harriet, was the first believer I met at our church site at Remadeyoung. Each day she followed our team, hearing our stories and worshipping with us. This is her testimony.

Harriet grew up brewing alcohol, which is a practice highly frowned upon in South Sudan. While an easy way to make money for women, brewing alcohol in this culture associates with drunk husbands who refuse to care for their families and occult practices. As a woman with little ways to make money, alcohol brewing seemed an easy solution.  Much like myself and others, Harriet depended on things of the world rather than running to her Savior and depending on Him. Harriet battled sickness for a long time. She visited witch doctors who left her with scars on her skin and sickness still in her body. One day Harriet heard the gospel message and gave her life to Christ. She immediately gave up brewing alcohol and abandoned the witchcraft and Satanic worship of the witch doctors. Harriet is alive! She attended the women’s conference with me and continues to learn more about her Savior.Throughout our days together I watched as she watched sheepishly on the sidelines as my team and I shared the gospel to speaking up, sharing her own story with others for the first time and encouraging them to be born again. Harriet’s sweet growth in discipleship, her hunger and love for her Savior, and her obedience to Christ both inspire and challenge me.
 
I ask that you pray for Harriet and for the many Harriet’s of the world. Pray that she would continue to grow in her faith, that she would always love and treasure Christ above anything else, and that she would strive to follow Christ with total abandon. 

Our God is good! He is a missional God and He is alive and working in the lives of so many around the world. Worship Him today in whatever language you speak, whatever your background. He is a God worthy of our worship, of our total devotion, and our complete surrender. Surrender to His call to live missionally wherever you may be. Share the gospel, the love and hope within you and when you do, remember my friend Harriet and how God uses the least of these, the poor, the broken, the orphaned to build His kingdom. Join me as we celebrate life, abundant life always under the eye of our Great God and reveling in His presence always.















No comments:

Post a Comment